You’re hugely excited because you’re pregnant and you realize that this is going to be an extraordinary time for you – an event that will change your life forever.
For your growing baby’s sake, there will be some adjustments to make so as to safeguard the health of your child. Certainly a good diet will benefit you and your baby, who will be relying on you for all his nutrients.
You will have an ultrasound scan at about 11 weeks to check the location of the placenta and also detect whether you are expecting more than one baby! This is giving you a chance to ‘see’ your baby which can be a moving and emotional experience for both parents.
A baby is a most precious gift and there are many useful products today to encourage you- and take you confidently through pregnancy and your baby’s first years. Let’s look at must-haves that can take you more effortlessly to the much anticipated event of birth –
- Bio Bands – Morning sickness can be misleading as many women have nausea and vomiting in the evening. Eat little and eat often to balance blood-sugar levels. If you are regularly experiencing terrible morning sickness, the Bio Band will relieve nausea through acupressure. Place it on either wrist, with the ‘bump’ on the underside of the wrist on the acupressure point. Tighten the strap so that the band is nice and snug on your wrist. There are no chemicals in the band and you won’t have any side effects.
- QuardioBase – A balanced diet is a major part of good health during pregnancy. Apart from taking folic acid, eat lots of fresh fruit and foods rich in fibre. While it is common to develop a taste for certain foods during pregnancy, don’t eat excessively. The QuardioBase is going to be useful for tracking your weight because it’s the only scale with a pregnancy mode so you’ll be able to track your progress. With its bluetooth technology and wifi, you can connect it with your smartphone.
- Bellabeat Leaf – During pregnancy you’re more aware than ever of diet and exercise and the changes taking place in your body. The Bellabeat Leaf, made from wood and hypo-allergenic stainless steel, helps with providing important information on coping with common discomforts as well as with sleep- and stress levels. It’s a stylish piece of jewelry with a replaceable battery that lasts for 6 months and which tracks your health, providing insights into your daily pregnancy period so that you can have control of your wellbeing
- TENS Machine – With Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, the machine stimulates your nerves by way of an electrical current through your skin. The machine should be used as a pain management program under the guidance of your doctor. Eliminating pain when labour starts can just be what every pregnant woman wants, and when there’s a contraction, you simply push the booster button so that an electric pulse nullifies the pain.
- Babybelly Bands – Nobody tells you that pregnancy, joyful though it may be, can bring about some nasty bodily changes such as varicose veins and even abdominal hernias. Babybelly bands are designed to support- and lift the abdomen to relieve pressure and make a mom, especially one expecting twins, just that much more comfortable.
● Lullabelly – Unbelievably, your baby hears a lot from within the womb and many pregnant women wear special necklaces hung on a long cord and which extend down to the center of the stomach. There’s a chime that babies can hear after the 20th week of pregnancy. The Lullabelly is more ‘musical’ than this and is a soft band secured snugly around the stomach. The portable device you use to play your own music fits into a pocket on the band. The Lullabelly comes with its own earphone splitter and its own speak so that you can share all your favorite music with your baby.
- AngelSounds – At 8 weeks your growing fetus’ heart has started to beat and you’ll be able to hear it when you go for your ultrasound. If you can’t bear to wait that long, you need to think about AngelSounds. It’s amazing that your baby’s blood is circulating because of the work from his tiny heart. Hearing your baby’s heartbeat can be so reassuring, and now with Angelsounds, this gadget lets you hear your baby’s heartbeat so that you can know all is well.
● BabyPlus Prenatal Education System – Every parent just wishes that their child will be able to learn and communicate and have normal development. With the BabyPlus Prenatal Education System, your baby can be receiving audio lessons while still in the womb. It has been shown that infants who used this system have been found be be more responsive, to nurse better and to be able to master physical and mental skills better.
- Laptop Trays– If you’re pregnant, you’re probably doing a lot of your usual work in the comfort of your bed-eating meals, working on the laptop, reading etc. A good laptop tray is essential to support all the different items you carry to bed with you. For your laptop, you can even get a laptop riser that goes underneath your stomach to support and cool your laptop as you work.
Expecting a baby is an amazing, enriching experience. The type of pregnancy you have can affect your baby in the womb and the healthy of your child for the rest of its life.
What is ingested, what is thought and what is done can have a profound effect on the health of you and your baby. This is a time in your life that you want to invest in yourself and in the health of your growing baby, and these 9 gadgets will keep you and your child happy, safe, entertained and even educated during this momentous time.
1. NCBI.Ultrasound for fetal assessment in early pregnancy. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4084925/
2. NCBI . Impact of Maternal Stress, Depression & Anxiety on Fetal Neurobehavioral Development. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3710585/